Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Baked Tomatoes, Squash and Potatoes

So I opened my new issue of Whole Living Magazine (which used to be A-mazing and now is just sorta so-so but I'm a subscriber so whatever) and found a section on what to do with bumper crops.  Because my CSA gave me a ton of tomatoes and I'm not the biggest fan, I was excited to find this recipe because it incorporated tomatoes with stuff I like much much better.  Here is the recipe:

Whole Living's baked tomatoes, squash, and potatoes

  • 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 2-3 small tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • 1 medium yellow summer squash, sliced 1/4 inch thick
  • 1 medium yukon gold potato (or 2 smaller potatoes), sliced 1/4-inch thick
  • coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves (omitted)
  • 2 tbsp freshly grated parmesan
  1. Heat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Heat oil over medium and cook onion until tender and lightly golden, 6-8 minutes
  3. Arrange the onion on the bottom of a 9 x 13 in ch baking dish.  Overlap tomato, squash, and potato on top of the onion.  Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with thyme and parmesan, and drizzle with olive oil.
  4. Bake covered for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake until golden, 30 minutes more.

I actually used both crookneck yellow squash and zucchini so mine didn't turn out as pretty as the picture they showed.  However, all the tastes really came together in a really delightful way.  (Obviously I also substituted parmesan for Daiya mozzarella.)  I'm not the biggest fan of thyme it turns out so next time I think I would add a bit of garlic.  Oh and I also don't own a casserole dish so instead I used two pie pans.  Oh the fun of kitchen experiments.  Nevertheless, I ate the entire thing in two days, which is cool cuz it's pretty low in cals, and ate it so quickly that I even forgot to take a picture!  Oh well.  Make the recipe; it's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment