Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Wynn Hotel Las Vegas


So this weekend was March Madness.  Becca and I went to Las Vegas to meet up with her dad and step-mom for the second year in a row.  We stayed at Platinum Hotel this time but I made a point of saying that I'd like to dine at the Wynn because they now offer vegan menus at all their locations.  We went to the Country Club: A New American Steak House.  We figured that this would give her 'rents plenty of options while still allowing us to eat well.  We started with the tempeh crab cake pictured.  The flavor was great, not much like a crab cake per se but really nutty and delicious. The sauce, which I think was made out of walnuts, was awesome.  I really enjoyed it.  I think if they used a little seaweed powder or something, it may have given it a certain "fishiness" that would make it taste more authentic.


Next I ordered the Gardein Chicken while Becca got the Quinoa Pasta. The chicken was well seasoned and really tasty.  I wasn't in love with the sweetness of the mango salsa but I kinda knew that going in.  The plantain crisps were a bit bland and could have probably used a little salt.  However, the green sauce on the plate was fantastic. I just kept smothering my chicken in it.  Finally, the purple yam was awesome.  It was really great to mix all the different flavors together.    Becca's pasta was very creamy.  She loved it.  I didn't love the sauce but I'm not a huge fan of white sauce in general.  Suffice to say she loved it.

I wanted to do some dessert but the only vegan one they had available was the sorbets, which I was lukewarm about.  So all in all, the meal was fantastic. However, there are some negatives. First of all, the original menu I looked at when choosing this restaurant was much more extensive than the actual one for the day.  Also, they do not give you a vegan menu if you do not request it, nor do they advertise that they have vegan options.  Outside each restaurant they only post the meat menu, which I find annoying.  I'm sure Steve Wynn has it on the lock-down and will make changes, but at least let the people know it's available!  Finally, $38 feels a bit steep for a piece of Gardein chicken.  It was very tasty but come on, people. Really??

No comments:

Post a Comment