Monday, May 9, 2011

Day 7

So my detox is winding down now that I've started breaking it.  The breaking of the detox is a tad confusing because it doesn't really specify which of the drinks I still drink and how often. I've tried to stay pretty well balanced.  I had juice this morning. Two hours later I drank the protein so that I gave my body a chance to digest the juice.  I drank my Essential Greens and tea.

At lunch I went to Whole Foods to major grocery shop, or as major as I could do with two small reusable bags and just my legs to carry me the two miles. I didn't want it to be too heavy or I would never be able to get back.  While there I decided to make myself a salad.  Here's the thing, if you know me, you know I'm not much of a salad girl.  Before my vegan days, the only way I'd eat salad was with bacon in it.  As a vegan, I do like the O.C. Raw Chopper at Native Foods, but that's on a limited basis.  (Oh if you're at Native Foods and it's on the menu, the seasonal Buffalo Seitan salad is also kinda amazing.)  However as far as a build-your-own, I'm usually blah about it.

Today I added a little of all the lettuce options: mixed greens, spinach, romaine and raw kale. Then I added some grated carrot, cucumber, black olives, celery, garbonzo beans, jalapenos and beets. I topped it off with Follow Your Heart Ginger Miso dressing, which turned out to be quite excellent.  So here's the amazing part. When I sat down to eat my salad, I was shocked by how delicious it all seemed. Perhaps it was the extremely satiating ability to chew food but I truly enjoyed every flavor my salad offered.  The textures, smell and tastes were divine.  It really makes me wonder how bent out of shape my tastebuds must have been from eating nothing but processed foods.  I mean, I will not hate on Veggie Grill or Gardein because they are both amazing, but they should be treats rather than the norm as they had become in my house.  I look forward to to making more meals at home and keeping my life as fresh (and raw) as possible.

Tonight I'm taking a page from Appetite For Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.  I'm going to make Brussel Sprout Potato Hash and a simple Tofu Scramble.  Becca's personal trainer has recommended no processed foods after lunch so she is pushing me for more plant-based meals at dinner. I'm more than happy to do this for her, although it does add pressure on me to make sure that I always have a meal up my sleeve!

No comments:

Post a Comment